- 2 1/2 cups macaroni pasta
- 60g butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 150g shaved ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180Â°C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When foaming, add flour. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Add half the milk and whisk until smooth. Add remaining milk and whisk to combine. Return pan to heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 3 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil and thickens. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta and return to saucepan. Add ham, parsley and white sauce. Stir to combine. Spoon into a 7-cup capacity baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool completely. Cut into 8 even slices.
To freeze: Place each slice in a small airtight container. Freeze for up to 1 month. To thaw, remove container from freezer the night before and refrigerate. Transfer to school bag in the morning. Serving suggestion: Add vegetable sticks such as celery, carrot and capsicum to lunch box with macaroni bake.
Don’t forget to include an ice-pack in your lunch box to keep your slice fresh.